Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Progress with the Carp Clam

Took to the water this afternoon. Conditions seemed less than ideal. The area still has a lot of smoke hanging around from the Rim Fire near Yosemite National Park. The wind was teasing as well. The carp were avoiding today making the first two hours pain staking, stomping brush and watching mud flumes from fleeing carp. I guess that's what you get for trying spots you didn't want to fish.
Moved back to the other side of the pond after literally having a debate with myself on weather or not I was going to leave. After winning the battle I head back down to the water.



Looking like a Boss this little guy weighed in at 8 pounds. He was in a mad hurry to devour a Carp Carrot. He nearly took the spool to the backing, I had other ideas and put the brakes on him!

The water in this area had risen pretty substantially, causing the larger Carp to be in areas they are not normally in. This allows them to root around with their backs out of the water making for an easy spot. There is an area where the stream flows into the pond, making for a pretty shallow and wide area to cross to the back side of the pond. The carp like this spot because of the buffet that flows through. This is also a clam bed with tons of sign of the little guys.

Watching the Carp expose themselves gave me the thought that they were feeding on small clams, so I loaded the rod with my new ammo, the Carp Clam. This is the newest version that I have been working on and think that it might be the secret ingredient. My other versions have had good hook sets which is why I have used a new material.


This 6.5 pounder thought that it looked good enough for him. Not only did he devour the Carp Clam but he swallowed it as well. Guess that's the sign that it works!


Hard to see in the picture but the Carp Clam is in there! This is a great sign!



 Nice ending to a slow start!

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I knock a few more down with it I will show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me also, super cool to have a new fly work and work well!

    Gregg

    ReplyDelete